Introducing . . . the FANOUT BOX
Front view of RMC Fanout Box featuring from left to right :
Poly-OUT 1 jack, Poly-IN jack, synth volume I/O, spare line I/O, SW 1 I/O, SW 2 I/O,
Custom String Mix switch banks A & B and Loops A & B
The back panel (not shown) features : Poly-OUT 2 jack, Separate string signal I/O's 1 thru 6,
Custom Mix A & B Outputs and a MONO Out connection.
The novel concept of using polyphonic pickup systems for Multi-Track/Multi-Channel Polyphonic (MTMCP) processing and recording/editing opens huge new horizons for guitarists and bassists.
In the past, only a handful of technically inclined virtuosos used it in their private state-of-the-art studios to create and maintain a technical edge over other players.
More recently, guitarists and bassists have been capable of superior MIDI access and polyphonic processing using our proprietary pickup and Active Electronics technologies in conjunction with state-of-the-art pitch-to-MIDI converters and Digital Signal Processors.
The advent of hard disk recording has made large numbers of data tracks much more affordable. Electric musicians have entered an era of desktop sound recording/editing in which new tools and techniques are required in order to support the flow of creativity.
We were able to refine this concept further, and designed a highly efficient patch bay and mix unit that makes MTMCP processing and recording easy and economical for everyone.
Using a FANOUT BOX for routing the signals, it is now possible to simultaneously record separate string signal information on separate tracks, and then play the recorded signals back into the guitar/synth, possibly after discrete string signal editing (to clean-up the tracks and optimize tracking performance).
The source information of Live guitar/synth and/or polyphonic processor (Roland VG-8) performances can now be properly recorded, documented, edited and downmixed with full access to processor parameter adjustments during mixdown.
It is now possible to adjust pitch-to-MIDI converter parameters to optimize the MIDI data produced by the recorded performance, instead of having to restrict the player's style within the possibilities of preset or default parameter settings in the converter or processor.
This concept is further potentialized by the ability of pitch-to-MIDI converters and high-end polyphonic processors to change certain parameter values & settings using MIDI commands.
A Master Class featuring performances by a virtuoso explaining his or her style can produce more specific information to be reviewed after the performance, for a deeper understanding of the artist's playing and ideas. Of course, self-study at all playing levels is significantly improved.
This empowers musicians, sound engineers, producers and teachers alike. It works to minimize production time & cost while maximizing the quality of the finished musical product.
The FANOUT BOX is a polyphonic Patch Bay and Mix unit which allows the separate string signals of a polyphonic guitar or bass to be individually routed to an array of amplifiers, a sound console or a multi-track recording system. It also allows the separate recorded tracks to be played back into a pitch-to-MIDI converter or other Polyphonic processor. This provides the musician with full polyphonic control over recording, mixdown, processing and amplification. The unit also provides two Custom String Mixes (A & B) each one with its discrete Loop (send/return) connection for separate external processing, as well as a Mono Out for the main instrument signal.
- Half-Rack format for efficient use of rack space
- Compatible with all current MIDI converters: Roland GR-09, GR-1, GI-10, GR-30, Yamaha G50, AXON NG-66, AXON AX-100 etc...
- Compatible with all current Polyphonic Processors: Roland VG-8, etc...
- Allows one instrumetn to drive 2 Guitar Synths or 1 Guitar Synth or MIDI Converter and 1 Polyphonic Processor simultaneously
- Provides 6 separate String Outputs (jacks 1-6) for connection to 6 separate inputs of sound mixing console or P.A. system
- Independent A & B custom mixes with independent String Select Switching for string splits & stereo sound
- Independent A & B loops for split or stereo effects
- Studio quality performance 90dB S/N typical
- Poly IN accepts standard 13-pin connection and is connected to ring connections of jacks #1-11 so they can be used as discrete outputs
- Poly OUT 1 jack connected to tips of jacks #1-11 so they can also be used as inputs (I/O port configuration)
- Poly OUT 2 jack parallel to Poly IN jack allows independent control of second Polyphonic Processor or Guitar Synth
- Remote D.C. Volume (Synth Vol.) jack
- Remote SW 1 and SW 2 jacks
- Access to pin 9 (spare line in Roland pinout) useful for additional custom remote control features
The FANOUT BOX also allows a single polyphonic instrument to drive two different polyphonic units by using Poly-OUT 1 jack on the front panel, and Poly-OUT 2 jack on the back panel.
Because most of the connections in the unit are of the I/O (input/output) type, it is possible to use the FANOUT BOX to connect a microphone or other monophonic Live or recorded signal source to a guitar/synth or guitar-to-MIDI converter for single-note pitch detection applications.
The 2-pound half-rack unit is very easy to use. The User Maual is brief and easy to read. The possibilities are limitless . . .
Many of our customers are using the unit in conjunction with our line of pickups and polyphonic Active Electronics to connect separate string signals to different overdrive/delay processors and amplifiers for incredible acoustic and electric effects onstage and in the studio.